Thursday, August 22, 2013

Lab Work

Blake's pediatrician noticed an abnormality in his blood test from his heel prick when he was just a wee wittle bebe. They sent us to the lab when he was 3 weeks old to get more blood squeezed out of his tiny little heel. But they needed more... so the next week, at just a month old, they had to withdraw blood from his arm. My poor helpless darling boy... I will never forget that. I felt so terrible. After just 4 weeks with me, it was like I was torturing him on that cold, paper covered table with the nurses pinning him down to take his blood.

I cried.

And guess what? That didn't even satisfy his doctors.

They wanted to run more tests but decided that it'll be best to wait until he's about a year old.

So his one year check-up came and went and his pediatrician gave us a lab order to get his blood drawn again. Oy...

I delayed it for a month and a half until I was mentally ready and his dad was able to come with us to the appointment. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold him down by myself.

We got to the lab and Blake was so polite to all of the other patients. He waved hello, smiled, flirted, and shared his toys with the other kids. But when they called his name for us to take him back, his body got stiff. Like he knew what was about to go down!

I sat my little guy in my lap and kissed him on his forehead. I said "I'm sorry, baby, but this is because we want to do everything we can to make sure you're nice and healthy." My heart started racing...

I pulled out our iPad and let him watch some Sesame Street while the phlebotomist prepared the tubes, needle, and all. She put the tourniquet on and found his vein. He was already screaming. Thankfully, she only had to prick him once and the blood started flowing out. He filled up two and a half tubes until the order was fulfilled. My baby was screaming so bad that no sound was coming out. And I was the one holding him down this time. Ugh... Terrible... Terrible, terrible, terrible.

We finished up and stayed for a few minutes so I could nurse him and comfort him. Mommy's milk-milks seem to heal all. But throughout the day he kept holding his arm and would suddenly cry. Hopefully we won't have to go through that again.

And we pray that everything turns out ok with his blood results this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment