Monday, August 26, 2013

27+ Hours

As of last Friday, Blake hasn't been begging or asking for mommy's milk-milks. No tantrums while signing for milk! When Blake would use his sign language for "milk," he would usually want to nurse off of me.

I tried introducing him to sippy cups, straw cups, and open cups here and there and none of them worked. He chose to stop using bottles around 6 months and would only nurse off of me. I've since boxed up all of his hardly-used sippy cups, bottles, and straw cups and figured he'd just let me know when he's ready to ready to use them. No sense in taking up space in our kitchen.

image shared from: http://www.leahlive.com/

I recently saw the Lollacup and since it was on sale, I wanted to try it. I thawed out some breastmilk that has been taking up real estate in my freezer. Slightly warmed it up and put it in his Lollacup.

WINNNNNN!

He drank the whole 6 ounces. 

Since then, we've put some juice and water mixes, breastmilk, and breastmilk and milk mixes in the little straw cup. He's taken them all. He doesn't necessarily take it when I ask him to, but if I leave it out for him to see he'll reach up on the table to grab it and just chug it all!

The fact that he's actually using it, and willingly is AWESOME!

We still nurse here and there but nowhere near as often. Over the weekend, he actually went 27+ hours without nursing off of me. (That hurt, seriously... I was engorged.) 

The only semi-issue I have with the Lollacup is that it's not spill-proof. But even with the other leaky and non-spill-proof cups we've tried, this is the only one that is a winner for my little guy. He can tilt it forward, right, left, and back and he can still drink out of it. The straw is weighted so it goes where it needs to in the cup in order to stay under the liquid. So when Blake is walking or dancing, he can still drink!

Some parents would hate to have a cup that isn't spill-proof but me? I personally love it. Blake isn't too messy and we always have a change of clothes anyway. The fact that he is drinking by himself is good enough for me. 

I think it helps that he loves birds and the cup kind of looks like a little bird. ;) So cute!

And since Friday, we now have TWO Lollacups. Thinking of investing in one more so I don't have to keep washing right after he finishes one.

So proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment