Thursday, July 25, 2013

Night Weaning... Ouch!

So the weaning from night nursing is going really well. Thank goodness!

Other breastfeeding mamas warned me that it would hurt to skip feedings and I never really paid much attention to what they said. I figured, just like everything else, I would experience it and learn.


After that first night of skipping night nursings, I woke up leaking everywhere... I haven't experienced that since Blake was first born. I was so full that I even thought about pumping again and just donating the milk like I've done before.

There were hard lumps around my milk-milks, all the way up to my underarms. It felt like I was bruised all over my chest area. Like someone just beat me.

As soon as Blake woke up that morning, I was next to him and ready to feed. I needed the milk out but knew that if I pumped it out, I would just continue telling my body that it needed to make more. And that's the total opposite of what I wanted. I mean, I want to donate milk again and loved being able to provide so much, but I know my upcoming schedule won't allow me to take so much time to pump.

Of course, he didn't drink much once he woke up so I was still super full. I ended up putting cabbage leaves in my bra that morning because I read that it can reduce milk production and the cold leaves honestly just felt good. Like an ice pack. ;)

That first day after skipping night feedings was terrible. I could hardly carry Blake...

But each night has gotten better. Almost two weeks later and I have no soreness and it doesn't bother me at all.

I still nurse him during the day time so we get plenty of quality time, comfort, and milk to fill him up. And I'm a much happier mommy now that I don't have to worry about rushing to our bed every time he wakes up in the middle of the night to feed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment