Thursday, February 21, 2013

We Love Elephants... And a Good Deal!

I have a little bit of an obsession when it comes to all things elephant. At least I admit it. Yes, I even have an elephant tattoo...

The obsession stems from the love I have for my mom's mom. She was a very wise, supportive, and inspiring woman. I grew up around her so I felt very close to her. She passed when I was 10 but her words will forever stay in my heart.

She loved elephants...

And so do I.

Elephants are known to symbolize strength, happiness, patience, and luck. The elephant is considered a symbol of responsibility because it takes great care of its offspring as well as their elders. My grandmother had 10 children and she still had the energy and enough love to share with her grandchildren. ;-) What a woman!

Now... I have my own child that is my responsibility. When I was pregnant, I wanted to make it a point to include my grandmother in Blake's life. She is such a huge influence on me and I want him to know that.

With that being said, I chose to decorate his room with elephants. From his pillows to toys to his mobile and even some of his clothes... elephants are around.

I saw this elephant rocker at Pottery Barn and in my heart, I wanted to buy it but the sensible part of me screamed, "NOOOOOO STINKIN' WAY!" There's no need for it and especially for $149! Blake probably wouldn't even use it (at least not any time soon) and I'd probably be more paranoid of it rocking on his little fingers instead of actually letting him enjoy it. So I snapped a picture of it and walked away...


And then a few weeks later, I saw this post from a consignment shop around the way.


There doesn't look like there's much to it or that it was even special at all, but I had to have it!

I called 5 minutes after the owner posted it and asked her to hold it for me. Picked it up the next day for... wait for it... waaaaaaaaaait for it...

$19.95!
(No joke!)

Drove home with a smile on my face and a baby sleeping in the backseat. Got home and gave it a good scrub down. Not that it was in bad condition or visibly dirty, but you know... just to make sure.

Put it in Blake's room the next day and sat him down in front of it. He looked at the tip of the elephant's trunk and followed it all the way up to its eyes. Then a huge smile spread across his face and his eyes lit up! He leaned forward towards it and tried to reach up and touch the trunk. I helped him stand up and feel it and he played with the hair on the top of the elephant's head. The body of the elephant is sturdy enough for him to grab onto for support when he's standing. It's weighted enough for him to sit on top, too! Man... there were giggles galore!

Just look at how happy this kid is! Langston, our pup, likes to lay next to it too but he's camera shy so I wasn't able to snap a picture of him. :-P

It's just nice to know that I can spoil my son... even on a single-mom-budget! :-)

Peace out, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment