Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!



My first Mother's Day with my son in my arms. :-)

Wow!

Last year I was super prego with this kid about to make his debut. This time I was able to give him kisses first thing in the morning.

As a single mom on Mother's Day, I kind of want to make a big deal over my first Mother's Day but knew that I wouldn't be able to. I wanted just a little extra time to stay in bed in the morning, or time to use the bathroom, shower, and put makeup on without Blake strapped to my side. Maybe getting my favorite Starbucks order brought up to my bed would have been nice. Possibly getting a spa treatment or my nails done.

But to get any of that would mean I had to set it up, which would probably mean I'd have to hire a sitter for the morning. And to be honest... just typing that out made me feel a little selfish...

Mother's Day is for us mommies, right? We all deserve to be honored as our children's mother. Even though I can't get a moment to myself, this day just reminded me how incredibly lucky I am to have my son with me. He recognizes my hard work every day. He may not say it or show it (yet) but I know he knows it. He knows who his mommy is and every time he wants to be held is a gift!

For any other single mamas, you may not get any grand spa treatments or beautiful cards but you do have your wonderful little kiddly winks to love on you everyday! Consider spending special time with your little one to make a craft together. Blake and I will be making handprint art to remember this day. Or maybe share a story about Mother's Day. When I was a nanny, I read the book Mother's Day by Anne Rockwell to the kids to share how many different ways children can choose to celebrate with their moms.

It must feel nice to receive gifts from your children and significant others, but the most important thing about Mother's Day is to take some time to yourself (probably during baby's nap time) to just sit and reflect on your feelings about being a wonderful mommy. Think about all the things you will cherish forever, all of the surprises you came across while raising your children, and all of the challenges you conquered on your own!

You are all amazing mothers! Celebrate YOURSELF in any way that you can! I'd love to hear about all of the love you were showered with today!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment